To subscribe to emails, newsletters, and meeting invitations, scroll to the bottom of this page. To also support us as a member (thank you!), please go to Membership. To search our site click the search icon to the right above.
Together our Voice is Stronger
We are a not for profit association of residents living in the community of Unionville in Markham, Ontario. Our vision is to improve our community through public education, engagement and representation. We usually meet the first Monday of every month (see Upcoming Meetings and Events below). We also produce a monthly newsletter full of information (see Newsletters page). For more details please visit the About Us page.
some issues we’re working on
- Managing Growth. Loss of Markham farmlands. Environmental impacts.
- Development proposals, eg Scardred7 (previously White Rose location), Sheridan Nurseries, Hildebrand, Hilton Suites. “No Frills” plaza.
- Markham Centre Secondary Plan and CEP (Community Energy Plan).
- Unionville Main Street Vision and Watford Group development proposal.
- Markville Area Secondary Plan.
- Bill 23 “More Homes Built Faster Act”.
Be part of the community and join us. Membership fees pay our costs, provide you the opportunity to have your voice heard, participate on URA committees or the Board of Directors, and support an influential neighbourhood organization. Just want to keep in touch and see what we are doing? Then become a free subscriber and receive our communications. Scroll down to become a subscriber, or to become a member, visit our Membership page.
The next meeting will take place in person at 7pm on Monday December 4th at the Unionville Train Station Meeting Room on Station Lane. Guest speakers from the City of Markham will be, Graham Seaman, Gabriela Ansari-Correa and Jennifer Wong. This presentation will provide an overview of the City’s home energy retrofit initiatives and seek feedback on ways to increase homeowner engagement. Last year, the City launched the Markham Power Homes (MPH) program where homeowners had the opportunity to receive a free one-on-one virtual consultation with an energy expert. Findings from this program have shown that the development of an energy concierge service and increased communications is recommended to help accelerate the implementation of energy efficiency measures. Additionally, Markham has partnered with the City of Richmond Hill to conduct a feasibility study on the potential to implement a local home-energy upgrade financing program. Phase 2 of MPH and next steps on the feasibility study will be further discussed.
- Change in URA Officers. At the first meeting of the newly elected Board of Directors on November 27th 2023, the following were elected to serve for the upcoming year, Joska Zerczi – President, Daniela Ghiculete – Vice President, Gene Genin – Secretary and Donna Day – Treasurer.
- Email Blast November 2023. AGM notice, Main Street revitalization update, traffic congestion.
- Annual General Meeting Nov 6th 2023. Board election for 2023, president, membership, and treasurer reports for 2023, amendment to constitution.
- October 2nd 2023 Members Meeting. CF Markville development proposal. Lincoln Lo.
- URA Draft Position re Traffic Congestion Mitigation from New Developments in Markham. To be discussed at the AGM Nov 6th 2023.
- Email Blast Sep 12 2023. Upcoming meetings, Markville Secondary Plan, Lobbyist Registry.
- Email Blast July 2023. Includes, Thursday Bandstand, Parking Strategy, Markville Mall, Markham Centre Secondary Plan, Union City South, Buttonville Airport.
Subscribe to URA to get our free Newsletters, event notices and other informative emails. Fill in your details and press Sign Up. You may unsubscribe at any time.